Can we say never a dull moment... I will tell you what. I never imagine my life being as crazy as it gets. You know just as things are calming in the waters around our house the wind picks up and out of no where the big giant wave. Sometimes it knocks you to your butt others it takes your breathe away.
Yesterday was very much a breathe taker. We have had sick kids at the house this week. Strep..Yahooo! So yesterday I was trying to finish up patients knowing that Eve and Alex were home sick and wanted to try and get the rest of the week off. So I stayed busy all day. After picking up kids I stayed out working later than normal. I get home a little after 5 to clean up things and do dinner before getting people to church. I gave my normal warnings to Malcolm, Cole and Alex who were kicking the ball in the front of the house. Watch for Cars etc. Never thought of saying watch out for non moving mailboxes.
Alex took a head on collision with the brick mailbox when trying to catch a football. All I saw was blood from his mouth..LOTS of it.. I start to try and stop it and thought I need to call the dentist he really did a number on his teeth. Called up the dentist who's office recently burned I didn't know who else to call you know. He gave me another dentist to call. By the time the second dentist called I had seen a knot coming up on his head and realized he hit his head than after questions found out he knocked himself out. This dentist was super nice. Offered to see him after the ER.
We couldn't get him to stop bleeding I got in the car with him and he wanted Malcolm to come with us. Which that left Sebastian and Eve and Cole at home. Which was fine I thought. But evidently the blood really scared Sebastian. Come to find out he thought Alex was dying due to the amount of blood.
After several hours at the ER, CT Scans, x-rays etc. With a child who couldn't remember who he was,day age etc. They found him to have 2 facial fractures. One in the sinus and one in the maxilla(i think). He busted up his mouth real good. 5 stitches on his lip a laceration inside his mouth,fat lip and jammed his tooth up into the gum and one is loose.He had an awful time with the pain and the fact that he had to wear the neck brace and couldn't eat or drink. Mainly drink.
This morning he is feeling much better. He is used to the brace.They have him in a neck brace for his pain and possible soft tissue damage. He will see the Neurosurgeon again in 2 weeks to reevaluate. The facial surgeon has cleared him to heal at home with the fractures instead of surgery. Yeah..
I have to say I really like Cooks. I am so glad I drove the extra time with him. I know it was more painful for him to wait the drive but the overall experience is better for him. He has received a Prayer Bear and they just brought him a cute little pillow with a special decorative pillow case for him. They look like the pillow cases alot of the projects from church that we do. It is really cute they have even stitched COOKS Childrens on it. He is being occupied by the game cube they have now.
We have seen so many doctors here. Because he was considered a Trauma case he has a special trauma doctor that follows him in the hospital, a hospitalist(our doctor doesn't come here) Facial Surgeon(there is a more technical name), Neurosurgeon. So the Neurosurgeon has ok him now, Facial surgeon has ok him, now the hospitalist and the trauma doctors just have too. He had this nurse in the ER. Luke. Alex remembered his name very well and would say when he was hurting really bad I need Dr. Luke. Dr Luke brought in the pain medicines and was absolutely wonderful to him.
Now to figure out the menu for the next 3 weeks that won't make my baby who is already skin and bones not lose more weight during his soft/liquid diet.
I have to say we are very blessed. My kids have people that care about them that you would never think about. Alex last night was more interested in calling his teacher than anyone else. Mrs. Thomas is like family to my kids. Alex is the 4 kids to have her in 4 th grade and Sebastian will have her next year. Then there is Mrs. Walker(Marilyn)she has been Eve, Alex and Sebastain's teacher. (cole had her briefly ) She is like family also. Especially with Sebastian being her grandson's best friend. Then you have the other mrs. Walker (Kim) she is the other walker's daughter in law and subs at the school and is Trapper's mom Sebastian's best friend. Kim made arrangements to get Sebastian to school. Then you have my siblings and other family.
Everyone has been so sweet.
I really am just looking forward to a very dull rest of the year. We really aren't trying to win any awards here for the most traumatic medical experiences..:)
I do have to say that after his blessing he was alot calmer and was soo sweet. He looked at me after I had talked to Eve and Sebastian on the phone he could tell I was upset. He says mom are you ok. Yes. I tell him not to worry about me he has alot of thing going on with himself. He tells me mom I don't have to worry about me anymore.He was so sweet he wanted to call and check up on all his siblings last night to make sure they knew he was ok and make sure they were ok.
Man how I am blessed with such a sweet kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment